2012-07-25

Hugo


Director: Martin Scorsese (2011) Starring: Asa Butterfield, Ben Kingsley, Chloe Grace Moretz, Emily Mortimer, Christopher Lee and Jude Law (briefly but sweetly).

No screenshots for this one. I rented the DVD through RedBox to watch this one rather than the usual streaming... and all my screenshots came up blank, it was expected. 


But this film is one to see AND for $1.23 a day rental... you should just go do it, go get it, now. 
I particularly liked it because it brought up George Melies. He was a French illusionist and filmmaker famous for leading many technical and narrative developments in the earliest days of cinema. In short, he created the world's first "Science Fiction" film, really.


There's a link to it.  

Here's a list of the movies he made.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0617588/

Also, found this cute video online :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXwGN2uSsn0


I liked the fact that a movie was made about Melies in such a manner. Complemented his image of what we know. There have been documentaries, I'm sure. But the way this movie progressed combined with the beautiful Paris scenery and imaginative, playful CGI made this movie not only informational but true to the very story it told. 

I mean, that's what Melies was about! Special effects, fun and dreams! 
To make a movie about him or with him in it in any way and not include one of those elements would be disappointing. But Scorsese did a good damn job. Johnny Depp also produced this... and with the look and feel of the rich colors and lighting, complex yet simple scenes and cozy images... It almost seemed right to see Johnny Depp's name in the credits. 

I really do like Johnny Depp and his creative eye.
I was surprised to see Scorsese directed this one. The knowledge I have of him is from his very different types of films. But no complaints on this one Martin! 

On a deeper note... I personally found myself choked up with tears during several scenes. The basis of finding ones "purpose" in life is something I always think about during the moments in my day where I can gaze off for a few seconds in between all the stressors. Who doesn't wonder about their purpose here? But we all have a purpose, of course. 

I guess I've been thinking of this quite heavily... purposes and meanings of lives. Fish Story is another movie of similar metaphor and I suppose, in some small way, every movie is... 

The little things that connect us in this life are something I'll always appreciate. Of the enormity there is littleness. Tiny fibers that catch us all in the intricate web of life! *sigh*

Anywho... I'm beginning to drift off here.

I also want to mention how much I enjoyed the dream scene in Hugo. When you watch it and connect the dots, it should bring about a slight chuckle and kudos to the cleverness.

I remembered the title and seeing a trailer for it in 2011 but didn't hear much of it afterward. It is sad to say that a film like this may fly right under peoples radar or just go unnoticed. 

At first, I thought this was a children's movie and it could well possibly be one! It seems a bit too deep though; silent films, homeless children, etc.

I didn't grow up with parents and although I had my Grandmother, I can imagine the conscience thought alone is overwhelming but to see on screen, an inspector with a giant Doberman searching for ne'er-do-wells ready to send you off to the orphanage or whatever, is straight scary! 

But then again... TinTin called itself a children's film...

ANYWAY. 
Still a good film to watch. It's magical seeing footage of Melies old films. 

Like I said, can't go wrong with a rental for $1 and change per 24 hours.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment